Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Big Ideas #4

TD Recond. Products



Here's one I've been thinking about for a while now and I haven't seen anything like it out there. Since I'm a musician, a lot of the things I think about are music related and specific to my needs. One of the most difficult things about putting a band together is getting (and keeping) a drummer. It's an instrument that requires a lot of dedication and not everyone wants a drumkit in their house so consequently there aren't a lot of drummers out there. What's worse is that for some reason, when you do find one, it's really difficult to keep them. They usually aren't involved in the songwriting process and therefore don't feel as attached to the music as the guitarist's or singers are. It's gotten so bad that some bands are giving drummers songwriting credits just to keep them. I got so tired of auditioning drummers, I learned how to play myself. Having said all that, my idea involves software that would sense the beat when you are performing music and play drums along with it in real-time. There is already software out there that sense the beat in a .wav file but it's not tied into anything that would play drums. What my idea would do is have a fast enough processor that could almost anticipate what was coming and play the appropriate part. As long as the computer could product a result in about 10 milliseconds or less, it should work.

No comments: